Translate

Friday 14 December 2012

Fantasy Inspirations

During my younger years I dabbled in the worlds of table top gaming and RPGs...do I hear cries of "geek"? Yes 'tis true........but for me this was just an expression of something older and deeper within me, a way my young mind could express itself and for that very reason I was always drawn to the wood elves more than any other race.

There is something about the idea of this race of immortals, clad in green, at one with their forest home that appealed to me. In the early days of the 80s the portrayal was simply of blonde pointy eared types wearing a green hooded cloak and dodgy green tights......all very Errol Flyn Robin Hood I suppose. Over the years however the image of the wood elf has (thankfully) become much rawer and embraced much of Celtic/Pagan spirituality and mythology. This was first brought through by the now defunct Grenadier Miniatures and their Fantasy Warriors game in the late 1980s which included a very Celtic influenced range of figurines by the designer Mark Copplestone. Nowhere has this change of image become more apparent in modern times however than in the famous strategy battle game "Warhammer" by the famous company Games Workshop. The elves are now a far more dangerous race......all tribal woad tattoos and whirling Celtic wardances worshipping a very familiar figure......a horned forest god of the hunt they call ....Kernuos.


The king of the elves Orion (hah hah....the hunter.....not very subtle Mr Games Workshop games designers LOL) is an avatar of this deity and is accompanied by his faithful hunting hounds.



In times of war, when the forest itself is under threat, the forest spirits themselves will fight alongside the elves in the form of the ent a-like treemen and the dryads.

It is great to see the imagery being used in such a strong way in a popular game.....I just wonder how many of those who game actually know the mythological influence at play in their hobby. We can but hope that some of these gamers are curious enough to dig deeper and uncover the wonders of the ancient Lord of the Hunt. I know that it was my interest in Herne/Cernunnos and all things connected with the woods and the Celts that drew me to this gaming race.....now could some young gamers do that in reverse and now be drawn by the game to all things of the Horned One and the Wild Wood?

I leave you with some more of the artwork and some splendidly painted miniature figurines from this game.






It is funny the places where the influence of our culture can be found. Maybe these gamers would find fellowship with the Pagan/Celtic community? After all, are not both groups treated with vague suspiscion and misunderstanding by the mainstream herd of sheep-le?

Blessed Be
)O(

....hmmm.......now where did I store my old paints and paint brushes....looking at these new miniatures has got me wanting to buy a few :)

No comments:

Post a Comment