Translate

Saturday 29 December 2012

Music - "The Hunter/Cernunnos" by The Moors


I have recently been researching the various songs and music in which Herne/Cernunnos are an influence and have found various wonderful tunes ranging from folk to rock songs. I shall periodically share some of these tunes with you. Today I ...feature a dark rock song from the 1990s rock band "The Moors". The song is called "The Hunter/Cernunnos". The video is very interesting and interprets the lyrics very well. In the video we see a woman dressed in goth-hippy style invoking the spirit of Cernunnos in the woods. We see Cernunnos running between the trees a scarf with Ogham script hangs around him. By the time the ritual is over the woman is dressed in a simple jerkin, her face covered in Celtic tribal style markings/tattoos with tree branch designs rising across her brows - the Spirit of Cernunnos is in her soul. The shaky black and white camerwork gives a primal feel to the whole affair. Musically it has an early goth feel reminiscent of early Dead Can Dance or Siouxsie and the Banshees with a psychedelic Hawkwind-esque style of guitarwork.....and the singer at times has an almost Stevie Nicks style of delivery. Wonderful stuff.


Here are the lyrics:
When in the wooded place I be 
Then in the sacred grove is he
The god of hunters, king of creatures all
His horned head I see
   
I sit beside him on the ground
As those in Gaul of bird and hound
His name is written but once, my Cernunnos
And still I know the sound

He rules life and death
And guards the Otherworld
From where all forces flow
And all events doth know

 
I know he will come
I've done the dances 
Stay beside me now
Lord of the antlers, come...
   
Oh, when the sun and moon
They rise up on yonder hill
He will rise inside me and
So shall ever be, (shall) ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment